The Horse Heads

The Horse Heads
We’re going to be your favorite family

Friday, December 14, 2012

Festival of trees

Every year around August I get a call or text from my sister Carina asking me if I want to help with a tree for festival of trees. Carina has been involved with the festival for a long time, but for the past couple of years my mom and sisters and I have decorated a tree and dedicated it to my mom. She is the strongest, most lovely, selfless, brave and wonderful woman I know. I am so proud to call her my mother and I like to call her Moner every once in a while. She fought a good fight and beat cancer. She is currently cancer free. My whole family is so grateful to have her in our lives. So, we take the opportunity to celebrate her life, and support her in her battle every year by dedicating a tree to her. 

This year Carina thought, and we all agreed, to try our hand at a wreath. After some research we decided that the next big thing in wreaths was to make them with tulle. So, we went with it and made a wreath with tulle and named it "just tulle-in' around". (My dad came up with the name...who needs college). Anyway, it was a great time creating this wreath. It sold for more than we thought, which is great for the Children's Hospital.
The best part of the whole experience was setting up the wreath. When we got there we had 2 planter boxes for our 2 small Christmas trees. We got put in a space with a tall, skinny door. Not nearly enough space for our wreath and planter boxes. So, Steph and I proceeded to move the doors next to us over so we could have more space. As we moved them the metal stands that the doors were stabilized on scraped on the floor and made a horrific screeching noise. It sounded like fingernails on a chalkboard times 100. Plus, it was amplified by the fact that we were in a huge echoing building. We figured first come first serve, right? We were laughing so hard we nearly wet ourselves. Maybe you had to be there.
Anyway, I love you mom. I look forward to creating many, many more trees/wreaths, and memories over the years with you.


 

1 comment:

Aubrey A said...

That wreath is beautiful! Good job ladies! Congrats to your mom as well! I'm so glad to hear that she is cancer free!!! :)